Due to the entirely realistic fear that if I didn’t do something with the roses and raspberries I bought RIGHT AWAY, they would rot on the kitchen counter, Young Indiana and I went out to Deal With The Garden yesterday.
Armed with a rake, a gardening fork and a spade, I murdered many, many bulbous plants that were clearly due to turn into beautiful flowers of some sort soon, terrified some snails, cut at least one fat earthworm in half (I am SO SORRY, LIL GUY), dealt with the tragic sorrow of a small child who didn’t have his own gardening gloves (this has been rectified, or will have been when the Amazon order arrives), ripped out every root system I could lay my hands on, totally filled the compost bin, and eventually arrived at this:
They’re not particularly visible, but we did plant the four rose bushes in there. Two of them had root systems that looked like they might be sufficient to survive, and the other two, well, we’ll see. :)
We’ll do the raspberries today, and we’re thinking about just going ahead and taking out those trees there at the end so there’s room for blackberries, too. We’re not getting any personal mileage out of the trees and we’d get loads out of berry bushes. :)
I also want to put a trellis up across the whole cut-away space there, and get a couple of climbing roses so that (you know, 15 years from now or whatever) that space can be a whole waterfall of roses.
So anyway, I also jammed my left index finger with all of the big work yesterday, and, um, now I have to stop typing and eat breakfast and oh, man, better get bread going…!
(x-posted from The Essential Kit)