Log in

No account? Create an account
07 April 2009 @ 08:41 am
i cannot brain, i has teh dum  

There’s a…like a center of gravity. A vortex, but that’s not the word. Not counterweight, either. Where you’re the person or thing which causes other things to be drawn to it, so change can be affected. There’s a word for that.

I will send a copy of THE PRETENDER’S CROWN to whoever can come up with the word I’m looking for. *Argh*. *shakes brain in frustration*

eta: I think amberley got closest to what I’m after first, with ‘fulcrum’. A fulcrum point from which everything else swings. I think that’s … generally it. Man. Words are hard!

eta, again: “Nexus” is the word I was actually looking for, and I think Ruth suggested it first, so email me your address and I’ll send you a copy of PRETENDER’S CROWN. :)

(x-posted from the essential kit)
Current Mood: frustratedfrustrated
Angel Wingsanela on April 7th, 2009 07:45 am (UTC)
A pole? (i.e. North or South Pole)
Amberleyamberley on April 7th, 2009 07:47 am (UTC)
Strange attractor? Catalyst? Focus? Fulcrum?
Amberleyamberley on April 7th, 2009 07:50 am (UTC)
Less likely: omphalos
Dan/Дмитрийicedrake on April 7th, 2009 08:23 am (UTC)
Pivot? Hub? Core? Locus?
Shonash Clayton Eastwoodshonasheastwood on April 7th, 2009 08:42 am (UTC)
Dan/Дмитрийicedrake on April 7th, 2009 08:57 am (UTC)
Enzyme? :)
Henrytahnan on April 7th, 2009 08:44 am (UTC)
Dan/Дмитрийicedrake on April 7th, 2009 08:57 am (UTC)
I'd get behind that one.
Melinda: stop to thinkmythrana on April 7th, 2009 09:04 am (UTC)
Could you be thinking something like a 'Primal Force'??
Legolas McGeeseveredscythe on April 7th, 2009 09:23 am (UTC)
Catalyst, perhaps? Newton field? IDK. Newton's like gravity only it doesn't obey time constraints.
quinceyforderquinceyforder on April 7th, 2009 10:53 am (UTC)
word guerrillia
what about "Maelstrom" or "singularity"?

Marithmarith on April 7th, 2009 10:58 am (UTC)
Fulcrum sounds like a good word, but belatedly reading this what I thought was magnet.

Words are hard, let's write in lolcat!
The Renaissance Manunixronin on April 7th, 2009 12:26 pm (UTC)
Nexus? Cusp?

For what you appear to want, I'd go with nexus. A fulcrum isn't a point that attracts things; it's a point where things balance.

Edited at 2009-04-07 12:27 pm (UTC)
Rosamund: The Well-Waxed Catrosamund on April 7th, 2009 01:02 pm (UTC)
I think nexus is probably the word you're after.
Astres - Kate L.astres on April 7th, 2009 01:35 pm (UTC)
Well, a vortex is round. I think you're looking for centripetal force and all the principles behind that.


Alas, the middle is called an axis.

Astres - Kate L.astres on April 7th, 2009 01:36 pm (UTC)
Don't use fulcrum. Fulcrum is specifically the midpoint of a lever, which is much more two dimensional than I think you're after.
Dan/Дмитрийicedrake on April 7th, 2009 02:01 pm (UTC)
Are we getting close at all?